NOTTSVIEWS PLACES TO VISIT IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
 
Wollaton Hall and Deer Park
 
Wollaton HallWollaton Hall was built between 1580 and 1588 for Sir Francis Willoughby and thought to have been designed by Robert Smythson.
The Hall stayed in the ownership of the Willoughby family until 1925 when Nottingham Council bought the Hall to house the city's Natural History Museum.
The Hall stands in 500 acres of parkland which includes woodland, a deer sanctuary and a lake.

In 2011 Wollaton Hall became Wayne Manor in the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises.

Stable Block, Wollaton ParkThe Stable Block built in the 18th century has a courtyard where many visitors gather for refreshments in the courtyard cafe and to visit the Industrial Museum.
The Camelia HouseLooking up the gentle slope to the Camellia House, a cast iron glass house constructed in 1823.


Boat House, Wollaton ParkThe Boathouse was originally designed to looklike a bridge.
The present lake was created between 1774 and 1785.
Deer ParkHerds of Red and Fallow deer roam free within the walled parkland.



508 Parachute Infantry Regiment MonumentThe American 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment arrived at Wollaton Park on 13 March 1944 in preparation for D-Day 6th June 1944, they joined forces with the 82nd Airborne Division. Of the 2,056 paratroopers of the regiment who participated in the D-Day landings, only 995 returned. This is their Monument.
 
 
Wollaton Hall and Deer Park August 2020
 
 
 
 
Sources for Wollaton Hall and Deer Park
 
Nottingham Council official website for opening times, facilities and charges.
 
 
Wikipedia's Wollaton Hall
 
 
Historic England
 
 
508th Parachute Infantry Regiment
 
 
To see an online map click here
 
 
Top of page
 
 
Terms and Conditions
 
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
All Images 2018/2020 John Beres