NOTTSVIEWS PLACES TO VISIT IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
 
Rufford Abbey Country Park
 
Rufford AbbeyRufford Abbey began life in the 12th century as a Cistercian monastery, it was converted into a country house in the 16th century after the dissolution of the monasteries. It was first owned by the Earl's of Shrewsbury and later inherited by the Savile family.
Rufford Abbey has a long history, one notable character from it's past was Elizabeth Cavendish (c 1527-1608) know as 'Bess of Hardwick'.
She married the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury George Talbot her 4th and last husband, by which time she became one of the most wealthy and powerful women of her time. She was famous for building grand houses, most notable are Chatsworth and Hardwick Hall both in Derbyshire.
The old country house fell into neglect and was largely demolished between 1956/58.
 
Stable BlockThe Stable Block originally built in 1660 escaped the demolition and is home to Craft and Gift shops.
Through the second arch is the Coach House Cafe serving light refreshments.
The Abbey stands in 150 acres of park and woodland with a lake used for boating at weekends and school holidays from April to the end of September.
 
The CloistersOriginal abbey undercroft, the Cistercian order of Monks came here in 1147 up until the dissolution of the monasteries ordered by Henry VIII in 1536.
 
 
Rufford Abbey Country Park 2019
 
 
 
 
Sources for Rufford Abbey
 
Parkwood Outdoors for more information, opening times, parking, charges and more.
 
 
Wikipedia about Rufford Abbey.
 
 
Opening Times; Currently 10.00am-4.00pm with some restrictions and precautions, check the Parkwood Outdoors website for a full list of guidelines in place.
 
 
To see an online map click here
 
 
Top of page
 
 
Terms and Conditions
 
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
All Images 2018/2020 John Beres