NOTTSVIEWS PLACES TO VISIT IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
 
Papplewick Pumping Station
 
Papplewick Pumping Station opened in 1884 and had a major part in supplying water to the town of Nottingham, the town was granted city status in 1897 by Queen Victoria.
Thomas Hawksley (1807-1893) and Marriott Ogle Tarbotton (1835-1887) were the engineers behind the Pumping Station. In 1879-80 Hawksley built Papplewick Reservoir and soon after in the early 1880's Tarbotton designed and supervised the building of Papplewick Pumping Station.
Today
Papplewick Pumping Station is a uniquely preserved Victorian water pumping station of historical interest and beauty.
 
Click on a picture to see a larger image, please use the back button to come back to this page.
 
 
Superintendents HouseThe Superintendent's House, also entrance to the grounds.
 
 
Papplewick Pumping StationAdding to the beauty of the surroundings is the Cooling Pond, the pond also had a purpose, cold water is taken from the pond to the Engine House where it was used to condense the steam, the warm water is then returned to the pond.
 
 
Inside the Pumping StationInside the Pumping Station there are four beautifully made cast-iron columns, the columns are covered with intricate cast iron reeds, bulrushes and other water plants, at the top of the columns are gilded Ibises.
 
 
Pumping Station flywheelThe Engine is a Beam type built by Watt & Co in 1884, there are two flywheels on either side of the Engine House which make sure the beam rocks at a steady pace. The triangular shape with two globes (Watt's Patent Governors) control the speed.
 
 
Engine cylinderEngine Cylinder at ground level the top of which can be seen on the next level.
 
 
The Packing FlatOn the next level the tops of the cylinders are visible on is what is known as the 'Packing Flat', this is where the piston rods enter the cylinders.
 
 
Stained Glass WindowWalking round the building, can't help but notice the stained glass windows.
 
 
The Beam FloorOn the next level is the Beam floor, the huge beams connect the pistons at one end of the beam to the pumping rods at the other end. The engines and beams were so big and heavy the Engine House had to be built up around them.
 
 
The FountainThe fountain in the Cooling Pond has it's function too, it has a separate water supply and is used to top up the water level of the pond.
 
 
Victorian architectureView of the magnificent Victorian architecture of the Pumping Station, at the rear is the boiler house.
 
 
Boiler HouseInside the boiler house, there are six huge boilers which provided the power for the engines, when they were in full use 2000 tons of coal were needed in one year. At least three boilers were used at all times, the stokers worked morning, evening and night shifts.
 
 
Minature RailwayMiniature railway all steamed up and ready to go.
 
 
Cooling PondPapplewick Pumping Station still supplies water to Nottingham but these days it is via modern electric pumps. In the Engine House the beam engines can still be seen working, the lavish decorations inside only previously seen by staff and members of the water board can now be seen by everyone.
 
 
Sources for Papplewick Pumping Station
 
Papplewick Pumping Station official website for more information, parking, opening times and charges.
 
 
Papplewick Pumping Station a website run for and on behalf of Papplewick Pumping Station Association.
 
 
To see an online map click here
 
 
Top of page
 
 
Terms and Conditions
 
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
All Images 2018/2020 John Beres