NOTTSVIEWS PLACES TO VISIT IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
 
Beauvale Priory
 
Beauvale Priory was founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantilupe, the Priory here at Beuavale is one of only nine built in England for the Carthusian Order of Monks, the monks lived here for 200 years until the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
 
Click on a picture to see a larger image, please use the back button to come back to this page.
 
 
The GatehouseThe Gatehouse, now the Gatehouse Tearooms, situated to the right of the tearooms is the car park.
 
 
Beauvale Priory PondI can only assume this would have been a pond at some time in the past.
 
 
One of two holiday cottagesOne of two holiday cottages.
 
 
Beauvale PrioryAt the side of the cottage the first glimpse of Beauvale Priory.
 
 
Beauvlae Priory ruinsAt first glance there is not much left of these historic ruins.
 
 
Rear of the Prior's HouseAt the rear of the Prior's House, among the ruins this is the most complete.
 
 
Priory RuinsPriory ruins.
 
 
Stone plaque to the Martyrs of Beauvale PrioryStone memorial to the Beauvale Priory Martyrs, St. John Houghton and St. Robert Lawrence who were declared Saints in 1970.
 
 
The Prior's HouseThe Prior's House.
 
 
Remains of the ChurchRemains of the Church, the south wall on the right with the window, north wall on the left.
 
 
Site of the AlterThe High Alter is thought to be where the commemorative stone now stands.
 
 
Beauvale PrioryBeauvale Priory is open to the public Wednesday to Sunday, 10am-4pm.
 
 
Sources for Beauvale Priory
 
Beauvale Priory Learn more about the historic ruins of Beauvale Priory.
 
To see an online map click here
 
 
Top of page
 
 
Terms and Conditions
 
HOME PLACES TO VISIT CONTACT
All Images 2018/2020 John Beres